RIM Showcasing BlackBerry 7270 with WLAN and VoIP
Research In Motion (RIM) is showcasing the BlackBerry WLAN solution, including the 802.11-enabled BlackBerry 7270 handheld, at VoiceCon this week. The BlackBerry 7270 wireless handheld connects through BlackBerry Enterprise Server to provide support for secure, push-based email, instant messaging (IM), organizer, Internet and intranet applications and to make and receive wireless VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) calls through enterprise telephone systems (ie. IP-PBXs) via the industry-standard SIP (session initiation protocol).
In addition to providing secure, push-based integration with Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino and Novell GroupWise and support for VoIP telephony through SIP, BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a robust wireless application platform that has been embraced by Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and developers. Hundreds of line-of-business applications have already been developed for BlackBerry. Examples of applications for the BlackBerry WLAN solution that can enhance productivity and customer service include:
- Healthcare: Timely and convenient access to patient and drug information can reduce the risk of misdiagnosis or the improper prescription of medications that may conflict with each other.
- Manufacturing: Inventory systems can automatically update new levels and push information to various stakeholders in the production process. Wireless VoIP can improve workflow for individuals and workgroups.
- Hospitality: Guest information can be accessed at a glance by service and facilities staff; up-to-date information and alerts can be pushed to security personnel; wireless VoIP can enable faster collaboration and problem resolution.
- Contact Center: Time-sensitive information can be pushed to mobile supervisors in place of reader boards that are often out of view, allowing faster action on alerts.
- Mobile IT Staff: Phone calls can be handled on the go and helpdesk tickets can be received, updated and closed on the handheld device without running back to a desk.
- Retail: Managers can access schedules and reports and front line staff can quickly access information for customers.
- The BlackBerry 7270 handheld conforms to the 802.11b WLAN standard and provides VoIP capabilities through the SIP standard. In order to enable seamless integration with WLAN and IP-PBX systems, RIM has worked with industry standard protocols and leading WLAN and IP-PBX vendors to allow product interoperability and certification. The BlackBerry 7270 also supports most WLAN authentication and encryption standards and includes client software for many leading enterprise VPN gateways.
Device provisioning of the BlackBerry 7270 is provided through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server in the same manner as cellular based BlackBerry devices, with added IT policy controls for setting specific smart dialing, VoIP, VPN and WLAN rules.
Filed under: Mobile | Leave a Comment